I went to a workshop today and was reminded by a colleague; it's Women's History Month!

We have come a long way! I read an article which said that women now rule (not sure about the reliability of that study though!). Anyhow, female to male ratio in universities/colleges in America is 60/40 - which is saying something considering they were denied higher education a few generations ago.

Since this is an Entertainment website, I would like to mention some of my favorite female artists in India,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Sri Lanka (I would also include some Pakistani and Bangladeshi artists too, but I don't think most of you would know; and I only know a couple):-

SINGERS:
Kavita Subramaniam, Sunidhi Chauhan, Lata Mangeshkar, and Asha Bhosle

DIRECTORS:
Zoya Akhtar, Kalpana Lajmi, Kiran Rao (even though she did one film, I was impressed by her work), and Deepa Mehta

DESIGNERS:
Ritu Kumar and Anamika Khanna (there are more, but these two are my favorites)

ACTORS:
Madhuri Dixit, Tabu, Rani Mukerji, Smita Patil, etc. (my list is too long in this category)

Please write about women you admire in the film industry.
I know we all love to bash the actresses we don't like, so try and be nice. If I can be nice, I know you can too :)

Categories: